Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Gentry, Corbin - Generation 1 (part 1)


Ah, yes. Today is the first day in which I will be observing my subjects. Most exciting! The rest of this entry (and in subsequent entries), I will merely re-produce the words directly as reported by the the individuals, though I will occasionally comment upon a happening.
- R. Agsded, head scientist of the Cherokee Harbor Project



It seems sort of weird to be writing in a journal, but for some reason I find it comforting. I will try to set forth things in a bit of an orderly fashion, in case these writings are someday of interest to my family. I suppose the first question to address is how I came to be sitting on my lawn in the rain.

Well, I had a bit of bad luck in the city. First, the newspaper I worked for was bought out (This and the following events as regards to setting up the experiment were engineered by Canopy Sim-Corp. - R.A.), and even though they assured everyone that it was a friendly acquisition, of course they made cuts immediately. The copy-boy was one of the first to go. Which is okay - except that I was the copy-boy.

That was all right. Well, not really, but I started putting out resumes immediately. Unfortunately, nobody was hiring. I had used up most of my savings and was beginning to get a little desperate, when I was contacted by the mayor of a town named Cherokee Harbor.

As it happens, it's one of those new-fangled "privately owned" towns that are springing up, and as a promotional gimmick they had a sweepstakes in which they were giving away parcels of land. Evidently, I won the largest parcel. Unbelievable! This sort of thing never happens to me. I quickly decided that as strapped for cash as I was, the most expedient thing to do would be to liquidate all of my furniture and use the money for the trip and also to try to get set up as soon as possible.

Oh - as extra luck, I also called and spoke to the Cherokee Harbor Gazette's editor, and they actually have an opening. So I had a job waiting for me when I got here. Unfortunately, my luck ended there - I had barely enough money to get a few odds and ends of furniture, let alone a home.

So - here I sit in the rain. But - it's MINE - and the future is ahead of me!

The subject's resilience is amazing. Even before the XCT-009 has fully taken affect, he has a good portion of drive. Excellent! Although maybe it would have been more telling if he were lazy. Perhaps I should enquire about genetic manipulation. - R.A.


This is a little later in the day of my arrival. Thankfully, it's stopped raining, and some of the neighbors stopped by to welcome me. I'm a bit ashamed of my home - or lack thereof, but nobody seemed to mind. So far everyone has been really friendly to Patton and me. Patton's my dog - you can just see him standing next to the girl in the shorts.

Everyone seemed to appreciate the fact that I made them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and we had fun talking and playing water balloons.


One of the ladies, Cythia, was VERY friendly. Rather shockingly so. She gave me a kiss goodbye. I liked her, but was rather taken aback by the suddenness of it.

Blast! That's a subject from the Ackart control family. After looking into the problem, it seems that a lab assistant reversed the behavior protocol, and so she was attracted to the test subject as opposed to being repelled. Problem has been solved and assistant disciplined. - R.A.


I think I'm going to love this town. Shortly after my neighbors left, a guy called and said he'd heard I was new, and he invited me downtown to play pool with a group of people he was friends with. I decided to go ahead and go - and that wasn't even the best part. One of the waitresses was really cute - April Lewis. I got her phone number and I'm going to call her later in the week.


I wasn't the only one making friends. Patton played with a neighborhood dog that I call "Killer". 'Cuz he's just so fierce looking. Man. I hope all this rain doesn't warp what little furniture I do have.

Today is my first day of work. I didn't sleep much last night - I was a bit too excited, for starters, but not having a bed kind of put a damper on things, too.


But after work, Patton and I both passed out. He's working as a vermin chaser, so he was pretty zonked, too. I'm just so exhausted. Sleeping on the ground is awful, but, well... that'll change soon.

Interesting. Subject is still positive and optimistic even with his financial hardship and lack of creature comforts. - R.A.


Oh. My. God. Look at what I found today! Somebody had thrown this at the town dump. I know it's not much to look at, but it's a BED. An honest to gosh bed. That's my grandma's quilt - but now I have a bed. Sleeping is going to be sooo nice tonight. Oh - must say thanks to my boss - he loaned me his truck so I could pick it up and bring it home.

Subject is still in good cheer. His mood seemed rather forlorn this morning as he left for work, but apparently he is still looking for ways to better himself. - R.A.


Oh!! I also found these little beauties at the dump. It's not much, but they actually grow simoleans. Who says money doesn't grow on trees?


I was right. Best. Sleep. Ever.


Patton's such a a goober. He's got to learn to shake hands for his job, but I swear. I love him, and he's a sweetheart, but sometimes I think I can hear the rocks rattling around in his brain-pan.


Here's a pic of me doing what I do pretty much every night - homework. I'm taking night classes for work - hopefully they'll pay off.

Happy Day!! I got a promotion today, and a bonus! With the bonus, I've got enough money to ask April out. She's such a sweet girl. We've been talking on the phone almost every night, but I've been holding off on asking her out because I want to take her somewhere nice.

And she said yes! Tonight is the night!


I'm a bit nervous, but well - here goes. This girl has gotten in my blood.


And there she is! I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't change out of her work uniform. Well - I'm not going to think about it. She's here, and that's all that counts.


I think she's happy with the restaurant, too. Everyone at work said that Londoste's is the nicest restaurant in town. Thank goodness I've been saving up my money. She's worth it, though.


She's so beautiful. Her honey blonde hair and brown eyes just make me melt inside.


After dinner I asked her to dance, and I think it went pretty well.


I also gathered up my courage for a dip, and decided to try my luck with a kiss.


Nothing on earth prepared me for how sweet her lips are.


I borrowed my boss's truck again and went back to the dump. They've got a lot of old lumber there that's warped, or been gnawed on, but it's free. It's taken me the better part of a week...


but I finally have a roof over my head. It's not much, but it's something. And this is just the beginning. BUT, most importantly, I feel like I can honorably propose to April now. I just didn't feel right about it when I didn't even have a shelter.

Subject has been tireless about finding lumber and putting together the beginnings of a home. Quite amazing, really. -R.A.

Well - here goes. Down on one knee...

Subject's heart rate is extremely high. Hands were perspiring. Every indication of stress in all bio measurements. -R.A.

Looking good, so far. I think that's a happy look.


And - she said YES! Yes, yes, yes. I am the happiest man in the world!


Oh. And as if it couldn't get any better - a guy from work gave me an extra microwave his wife had from college. It's old, but a hot meal is going to be nice!


Oh - AND I got another promotion. The only way to go from here is UP!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! It is going to be very interesting. And he sure is optimistic, working hard and doing everything he can. I wonder if it's just his natural drive though, or if it's really the experiment. He sounded pretty driven before. So now I'm left wondering if they'll try changing his genetics to make certain it's the experiment...

MysticSpirit said...

He is very optimistic, isn't he? It's nice to make lemonade from the lemons that life hands us at times. So ... when did he meet April? I feel like that was missing from the story.

He's got great skin. :) And his doggie is adorable.

Arkali said...

He met April when he went downtown and played pool. Yeah, he just made brief mention of it - I probably should have made it a bigger deal. I'll probably re-write that part. Thanks for pointing it out :-)

Arkali said...

Oh - I'm pretty sure I'm using Rensim default skin replacements.

Lisa said...

I love this story so far. I'm very curious to see if he continues to be so optimistic in the face of adversity.

Anonymous said...

Holy hottie!!! He is handsome!! And such a go getter! I love his attitude. He is determined to see the silver lining in all of it. I had to laugh when he called his dog a goober. Do you know how many times I've called Riley a goober? More than a couple, LOL. I think your whole approach is so interesting. I really want to hear more!

Laura said...

I like Corbin what a sweet guy, I'm sure he'll make April happy.

Kristen said...

I'm loving this! And the comments from the head guy thrown in are great. Oh, and the puppy is so cute!